Find out here how to comply with all requirements with Visa Support & Business Solutions GmbH.

The A1 certificate is intended to certify to foreign social authorities what social security system is applicable to the insured person. The A1 certificate is a proof of the obligation to pay social insurance in Germany, which makes it not necessary to register with the social security system of a foreign country, and aims to prevent social security fraud.
When travelling on business to other European countries, Switzerland or the United Kingdom, one must have the so-called “A1 certificate” on them. This applies to both employed and self-employed personnel. Whether it is a longer business meeting, a presentation or a workshop, participation in a seminar or a conference, every business-related border crossing requires possession of the certificate. One must have the certificate available even during short business trips. In the event of inspections, severe fines can be imposed if one is travelling without the A1 certificate. Since January 1, 2022, it has now become mandatory to submit online applications for all self-employed persons, either. Previously accepted paper forms are no longer applicable.

Overview of the electronic application and certification procedures for A1

  1. Persons who work as flight or cabin crew members and whose permanent residence is in Germany.
    • As of 01.01.2021, employers must submit A1 certificate applications for persons employed as flight or cabin crew members only electronically. The following conditions must be met:
      • The residential address of the respective employee is in Germany.
      • The employee does not engage in any paid employment other than as a flight crew member or a cabin crew member.
  2. Employee secondment within the EU, the EEA, Switzerland or the United Kingdom.
    • As of 01.07.2019, applications for the A1 certificate for posted workers must be submitted by the employer only in a digital form.
  3. Temporary self-employment within the EU, the EEA, Switzerland or the United Kingdom.
    • As of 01.01.2022, applications for the A1 certificate for self-employed persons are to be submitted online only.
  4. Civil servants or similar positions.
    • Applications for A1 certificates for civil servants or similar workers are to be submitted only online as of 01.01.2021.
  5. Sailors.
    • As of 01.01.2021, applications for A1 certificates for persons normally employed on board a ship shall be submitted by electronic means only, provided that their employment is performed on board a ship flying the flag of another Member State, for an employer established in Germany and that the employee resides in Germany.

Who is in charge of A1 certification?

  • For employees with statutory health insurance, application for the A1 certificate must be submitted to the health insurance fund. This also applies to voluntary insurance and family insurance.
  • The German pension insurance is applicable if the employee is privately insured.
  • Members of a professional pension scheme (not subject to statutory health insurance and exemption from compulsory pension insurance) submit an electronic application to the Working Group of Professional Pension Institutions (Arbeitsgemeinschaft berufsständischer Versorgungseinrichtungen e.V. (ABV).

Is there a fee for the A1 certificate?

No, no fees are charged by the health insurance providers for issuing A1 certificates. You will only incur a fee from Visa Support & Business Solutions GmbH as the service provider for obtaining the certificate. Your application will automatically be forwarded to the office responsible for your case. This office will prove whether the conditions for the further application are met according to the German law. The electronically received A1 certificate will then be forwarded to you in due time.

Visa Support & Business Solutions GmbH fees

A1 certificate - 35,10 (icl. tax)